Skip to main content

Verse(s) for the day: 2 Timothy 4:7, 8


“I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love His appearing.” – 2 Timothy 4:7, 8 King James Version (KJV).

On this text, Paul, the writer of the epistle to Timothy, had written his personal testimony to encourage us to do three things that will lead to the greatest satisfaction for all mankind.

The first point is, “I have FOUGHT a good fight.” As human being, not just Christians, we are daily fighting with our conscience to do the right thing. We fight against what we know is wrong; e.g., lying, gossiping, stealing, and even perhaps punching somebody on his face. There is that conscience, whispering in our hearts, letting us know that it is wrong to do what is unrighteous. The Bible does say, in Ephesians 6:12, “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” – KJV. Paul does not encourage us to standing still, or to take a step forward and give the enemy a slap on the face. But Paul motivates us to FIGHT! In my personal, untitled heart, it is the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life that I daily fight. (1 John 2: 16)

The second point from 2 Timothy 4:7, 8, is to finish the course. In New King James Version (NKJV) it says “I have finished the race.” The course or race is talking about the course of our life. In the race of life, we will be beaten, we will see the ground, and there are many times in our life where the adversary says, “that’s it, you have failed. You have committed the greatest sin.” Paul encourage us to REFUSE to fail, aim higher toward heavenly goal. It is our goal to FINISH the course, to FIGHT, with the strength from God, to FIGHT a good fight against our adversary.

The third point from the text is keeping the faith. In simple word, to be FAITHFUL. Paul urge us to FIGHT, to FINISH, and to be FAITHFUL until the end. If we look at the life of Paul, he started as Saul, the persecutor of Christians. In his right mind, he felt that persecuting the believers of Jesus is noble and righteous. Saul was faithful in his duty, but he was not faithful to God. Therefore, he chose to fight against principalities, against powers, against rulers of the darkness of this world and even against spiritual wickedness in high places. Paul helped us to understand in Romans 1:16, 17; 2 Corinthians 3:18 and 2 Corinthians 6:16, that it takes FAITH to FAITH, GLORY to GLORY and renewed DAY by DAY to be victorious in Christ. Are we fighting the same war from faith to faith, glory to glory and day by day? Or are we just give up and follow the flow of crowd that lead to destruction? As Paul lived his life in Christ, Paul was mocked, beaten, imprisoned, and persecuted for Christ’s name. He fought, and finished his life fighting for Jesus, keeping his faith in placing Jesus first above self. Hence, “ bondservant of Jesus.”

You cannot fight, finish or being faithful at something that brings no reward. THAT IS USELESS. But Paul sees a goal in his fight. He said, “Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.” 2 Timothy 4:8, NKJV. Paul is saying that in this life, we are FIGHTING, FINISHING and being FAITHFUL for a reason, and that is for the crown that is prepared for all of us, a crown of righteousness. This is not a mere fantasy, or tale, but it is a true, graspable promise that is given to us from God. Paul has died because of this promise, prophets before him have died, apostles in his time have died, and many of Christians after him have died fighting a fight for a greater cause.

Jesus, the Son of God has died for you and I so that we all can have the same hope. For, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Matthew 19:26, NKJV.

If you have fallen, you can always get up. Refuse to stay down friends. 1 John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” – NKJV.

Friends, we are battling a furious fight against sin, against the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life. Achieving victory hangs on one Man, and He is Jesus. Paul have FOUGHT a good fight, FINISHED the harsh course, and he was FAITHFUL to the end. Is it your desire friends? Is it your personal desire to daily fight this winnable fight?

I would like to pray for you at this moment:

Father, You know each one of our hearts. We tremble before sin and often wounded through the raging war. But it is our desire to be more like You, give us the yearn to live a life according to Your will. We thank You for Your Son, Jesus, as an example and an assurance, that when we do fall, we can always come to You through Jesus, our mediator, in repentance of our sins. Thank you so much for Your love oh Father, in Jesus’ precious name, Amen.

Comments

  1. Thank you for this blog Assdhy!
    We've shared a little chapter in our lives as buddies.
    I am glad that you can help me to strengthen my faith
    and remind me of His great promises.
    Miss ya Assdhy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very sorry for this late reply, but I would like to praise the Lord of what had happened and what is happening in your life as well as mine. Never give up on God, never back down, hold up that bloodstained banner of Christ. The Lord have promised, "'For I know the plans I have for you,' says the Lord. 'They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.'" -Jeremiah 29:11, NLT. May God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Journal: "Never Stop Digging" - 11/3/2012

           It’s amazing at what God have done through my life. I have asked to make my life busy, and that is just what God have been doing. As I sit here on my futon with blanket over my shoulder, listening to beautiful praises of wonderful musicians and singers through the speaker of my laptop, I am convicted in writing a Journal of how God have led me throughout this week.            Friday night of November 2, a story of a gold miner was brought to my attention by Pr. Bobby Sepang. He said, “Do you remember the story of a gold miner who gave up before finding gold a few feet from where he was digging?”             Before I get too far, let us start much earlier than that.            Wednesday morning, October 31st of the year 2012, the title soared across the top of the page, “Day 19: The Necessity of Spirit Baptism in Witnessing.” From the book titled, 40 Days: Prayers and Devotions to Prepare for the Second Coming . I have favored this book for what it had done in my li

Journal: Will You Go? - 10/15/2010

October 14, 2010. It started out like any other Thursday at Emmanuel Institute. I was awakened by God at around 6:00AM. Right away I dove to the Word of God longing to see what God wanted to speak to me. I studied the story of the Samaritan woman at Jacob’s well (John 4). I dug the background of the people of Samaritan from the time of Abraham, to Jacob, to Joshua, to Jeroboam and to Jesus’ time. I discovered the reason why the Jews disliked the Samaritans. It was there, at the mountains, where an altar was built. In that same city was where God rebuked them to worship God with all their heart. Yet, they chose to fear God but serve other gods. I love the word of God, I just wish I could have stayed in my room and read more of the wonderful stories of the Bible. But I concluded that I need to worship God with all my heart and not half-heartedly. Therefore, I need to seek those that are far from God, and that are longing for truth. Breakfast started at 8:00AM with a very special and del